Lower Lumb Mill (Mill Bank/Cotton mill) at Lumb Bridge.
The mill burnt down on 15th October 1864 when was occupied by Heale, Booth & Company.
Saturday, 15th October 1864 Lower Lumb Mill of Heale, Booth & Company burnt down. The fire was discovered just after 2:00 am by a resident, John Mitchell, who immediately gave the alarm. The flames spread so rapidly that nothing could be saved from the stock. The machinery, stock, and walls were destroyed. The estimated damage to the machinery and stock was between £6,000 and £7,000, and to the building £3,000. The cause was unknown.
Small dam above the ruined old mill.
Looking inside out...
Vent hole for scraping the sut out of the bottom
of the chimney.